Thursday, April 16, 2009

Reflections on...Easter and a chocolate park

I know this is coming a few days late...such is the busy life of a graduate student in the middle of wedding plans!! Late is all I got right now!
SOOOOOO....

This is the ADORABLE Easter Bunny basket that Kathy made me--purple of course! Dave and all the gang have the same bunny with different fabrics and have used the same Easter basket since they were kids. It was touching that, while I'm not officially part of the Clay clan yet, I now have one of the family baskets!! What a great tradition! and it's purple!!


I went down to the lake house to watch General Conference the week before Easter and did what I could to help Kathy make the bunnies (just barely helpful since she'd already cut them out nad started sewing). Dave was at drill but came back in the afternoon and we got to see one session together but I watched the rest with Kathy (both Marc and Dave left Sunday for different trips) and Nicki came down but just for a little while on Sunday. It was a nice break from studying and WOW what a wonderful weekend of doctrinal lessons! And, what a surprise to see a member of my ward called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles!! I don't know Elder Anderson too closely and his kids were not my age but it's still cool.

I really loved hearing the prophets and apostles talk and I just felt so uplifted with each successive message. Not only is the gospel true but it keeps making me happier and happier as time goes on! And, of course, this is the best Conference because it helps set the stage for Easter and the celebration of our Savior's resurrection. Beyond the hype of bunnies and chicks and pastel Easter eggs, the true meaning of Easter is a rebirth of our spirits and our bodies made possible through the resurrection of our Savior Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for the knowledge of that gift and for the reminders of it every Easter season.

The sad part about Easter...Dave was in Virginia :( The plan was pretty basic...miss Dave, talk to him on the phone, miss him some more, drive down to see all his family and miss seeing him with them, play games, maybe watch a movie and miss having Dave to cuddle up to...then go back to school and miss him for a whole entire week before getting him back to Syracuse.

But, the plan changed! Dave found out he would only have to work a half day on Friday and I didn't have classes because of Good Friday, and so last minute we decided to meet each other halfway in Hershey Pennsylvania. I drove 4 1/2 hours down, he got a rental car and drove 4 hours up, and we met in the middle of dairy farm land and rolling hills. I was so excited to see him I could hardly keep my head on and ended up accidentally leaving my laptop behind at the oil change place!! So dumb of me!! But, luckily they were honest and reliable and kept it behind the counter for me until I came back on Monday morning to pick it up.

But, the weekend was a perfect chance to see each other and get some tourist time in too.

Saturday morning we started our journey through the gigantic maze of Hershey Park and Chocolate World. Yes there is such a thing...and oh what a wonderful place it is. Chocolate World!!

This is Dave about to enter the Chocolate World Tour. There were TONS of people all jammed inside because it was still raining in the morning when we got to the park...and because there were simply a lot of people there this weekend. The park had opened just for the weekend and won't be open again until the end of May for the start of the Summer season.



While we had both envisioned a tour to mean some kind of glimpse inside the actual Hershey factories, it actually ended up being a Disney-inspired "tunnel o chocolate" ride through a fake factory churning out fake candybars, complete with animated dancing milk cows touting the secret of Hershey's success, and I quote: "It's the milk chocolate...oo oo oo...It's the milk chocolate."


I refused to pay the $15 they were charging for your picture in one of the thrill ride cars, so I snuck a picture of the picture. Not too shabby for clandestine photography.

Given that it was windy and kind of cold outside but that I had only packed a wool coat that would be really bothersome on the amusement park rides, we went through the gift shop in search of a non-tacky sweatshirt/track jacket. Here I am in my recent acquisition!


In the background is the sign saying "Welcome to Hershey" and a gigantically long building...we guessed it was where they hid all the oompa loompas from the tourists.


Entering the other half of the gigantic complex--Hershey Park.


Supposedly searching the right souvenir for our new tradition of getting a coin and/or pin from all the places we visit together, Dave managed to try on some bling. Not only did he voluntary don the fake bling but insisted I take his picture. No comment.


We had a great time exploring the park, working hard to try and win a bear from one of the carni games and finally getting one with our combined efforts and a roll of quarters at Skee ball. Time went by super fast and already it was time for us to part ways again. I drove Sunday morning just in time to get back to Church and Dave headed South to report back to his unit.



His family was generous in inviting me down again to the lake house and, after I gave a talk in Sacrament about covenants and sacrifice, taught a Sunday School lesson on spiritual gifts, and took care of the dog I was dog-sitting, I was free to drive down. We had a great time eating the chocolate-covered pretzles I brought back from Chocolate World as we played board games and finished off the amazing ham dinner that Kathy had prepared. We watched Yes Man and I really did miss my cuddle buddy but with the amazing freedoms of modern technology, I was able to text him a few times to keep me company while I watched.

Now I'm heading into the final weeks of the semester, the escalating stages of wedding planning, and happily the warmer days of the new Spring weather. My mom has been getting in lots of driving time and man hours to plan the wedding reception, book a photographer, scout out decorations, and everything else that goes into a wedding and I'm so thrilled that things are coming together. She has already been an incredible help even being all the way across the country! I finally figured out official travel days and booked my airfare today and think I found the dress I'm going to wear... Sometimes it's really crazy to think that I'm actually getting married and in less than 3 months from now! But, after suffering through these two hectic weeks without Dave by my side, I realize how much I enjoy having his input and influence in my life. Marriage may be one of the biggest challenges to human sanity and the most singular commitment I'll ever make in my life, but I've never been happier knowing that I'll be growing and learning alongside my sweetheart for all eternity. Thanks everyone (and MOM especially) for all your help in making this celebration come together.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Happy Easter and Happy Chocolate World! Kevan and I enjoyed a weekend in Hershey when we lived in PA, but for some reason the amusement park was closed. Looks like you had fun.
Sounds like wedding plans are going well. I'd love to help if there is anything I can do, just let me know!