Saturday, July 19, 2008

Takin a break

Going to the Hill Cumorah Pageant. I had just gotten finished with a Federal Budget Simulation where I took the role of Mrs. Claire McCaskill from Missouri. Everybody in the class was given either a Senator's name, was assigned to be in the Press Corps and keep us on our toes, or on the Executive Committee alongside a self-elected President and Vice-President to try and work the room to lobby their position. We had sub-committee meetings on plans touching everything from Medicare to National Security with a mission to balance the budget. We then met the next day in the full Senate and voted one-by-one on the proposals. While being a Democrat for a day wasn't business-as-usual for me, it was a fantastic experience and I loved seeing the debate and hear everyone get into their parts. I presented the Democrat's position for the Medicare bill, but froze up with stage-fright and struggled to really argue effectively. In the end, our bill was tied and the Vice-president had to make the deciding vote--a decided Republican, he voted to pass a bill that would privatize Medicare within 10 years. Anyway, that was last Friday. I then headed out with this fine group of single adults to Palmyra, New York to see my very first Hill Cumorah Pageant. I loved seeing the groups of Mormons milling about the grounds--set up to support more than 9000 people seated plus standing room for many more. Not too chilly, not too many bugs, and not too long to make me fall asleep. Well done. We commented on how great it was to be in a large gathering of people and not feel like your purse was going to get stolen, not being enveloped in a cloud of smoke, and actually seeing happy people all around. Even drivers were courteous and the night was a breath of fresh air compared to the tense crowds of the bar scene. We then waited for the crowds to clear out while laughing at the remaining protesters on bullhorns pleading to the public to "repent of your phony repentance" and leave your "Mormon Gods". It was almost inspiring...all that babble over a bullhorn simply must be the signal I've been waiting for my whole life to put me in the right direction! Ah, but seriously, how sad to see people waste so much time and energy in destruction-seeking and trying to take other people down. I would never dream of the Missionaries picking up bullhorns and degrading Hindu, Bhuddist, or even Catholic gatherings. It's completley contradictory to any message of love or peace that Christ offers us. But, they have their free speech as much as anybody else. After all, it did provide some post-show entertainment. We then headed over to a dance at the Palmyra Stake. I felt a little awkward with my wrist-brace on, but had a great night.

Moving forward to this weekend, the 18th was my first official Karaoke party in the States. Amidst constant heavy metal and angry screaming, there were some good 80's pop rock and even some ballads belted out from the Singers' stage. They had an impressive collection of Karaoke favorites, compiled into massive volumes of spiral-bound goodness floating about the room seeking requests. Here we see the whole group, pre-show, and then Dave and Jason, two friends from the MPA cohort, belting out I Am the Warrior, complete with BANG BANG emphasis. My submission never made it to the lineup before it hit midnight and we were all ready to leave, so we'll have to plan subsequent karaoke nights. It was a lot of fun and a great interruption tothe grindstone of public budgeting. I'm learning a TON and moving quicker through financial material than I had ever dreamed possible, but it's nice to get out and see what the Syracuse night life has to offer (including the first of many Shirley Temples). I have quickly received the reputation of coming from the "jungle" and having "crazy survival skills" living in "extreme" conditions. Haha. Very true in many senses, but still not Tarzan-worthy. That, mixed with the intermittent discussions of whether the Polygamist colonies are considered Mormons or not, how to classify Mormon religion, and why it is that I want to spend so much time with Church-folk really keeps me on my toes. So, doing great! I probably have a pinched ulner nerve in my right arm and discovered that I have no medical coverage other than partial emergency room reimbursement and urgent care coverage at a clinic 100 miles from here. But, it could be worse. Thanks to a great physical therapist-brother (HAPPY BIRTHDAY btw!) I'm working on self-treatment. Oh, and Happy Birthday to Suzanne and her new little bundle of joy Isabel! Even though they stole my Spanish name from childhood, I'm glad to welcome her into the family fold.

No comments: