Tuesday, July 1, 2008

it's all in the orientation materials....

So, yep, officially started graduate school yesterday. Admittedly one of the most overwhelming days of my life. Between the orientation packet I have yet to finish reading from May to the mounds of contact information, office hours, and acronyms thrown at me in the past 2 days, I'm still amazed that I can successfully walk from my house to campus and back without getting lost in a maze of newness. I did ride the bus successfully from campus to my house, have navigated at least 3 separate routes through the park that stands between my house and campus, and have actually gone into 3 different buildings and come out while still knowing which direction to walk to go home. I can't remember my first few days at BYU to be honest, but I definitely don't remember feeling COMPLETELY lost while on campus. And, should anything happen, I could always look up and find the mountains to give me a cardinal direction and a way home....quite handy in fact, though quite absent in the rolling hills of Syracuse.

Today was great though. We had a guest lecture by a Mr. Arthur C Brooks, author of various books and current visiting professor in both the Maxwell School and Whitman School at Syracuse. He was honestly one of the most articulate and engaging speakers I've seen in a long time. While explaining his current research interests of proving whether money can or can not buy happiness, he cited studies from social psychology as well as principles from economics, and even threw in some cross-cultural comparisons from large research firms. I loved the interdisciplinary approach and, even when asked some very obscure questions, while not completely answering the question per se, he always had something to say and was impressively able to channel any comment or question into more evidence from his research that sounded enough on topic to keep the person from asking another question. Amazing public speaker. I'd love to read his books and find out more about the actual details of his research. Oh, and mom, very conservative--he's an economist for heaven's sake!--and argues that in order for people to be happier, the government should actually do less, step out of the way, and facilitate more philanthropy and charitable giving rather than actively pursuing programs to redistribute wealth and 'fix' the money problems in our society.

In getting to know the new surroundings, I had a great time on Saturday when we explored a local farmer's market--the largest one I've ever been to with 4 long buildings filled with booths, tents, and walled-off restaurants with everything from seasonal flowers and produce to cheeses, chocolates, and yes, even a booth dedicated to free trade Guatemalan textiles. I went crazy when I saw them and started talking with the vendor with tentative plans for an exhibition/presentation in the near future.

Then, last night, I attempted to attend a free Syracuse Symphony concert, but was sad to see it rained out. And, when it rains in Syracuse, it POURS! I was reminded of Guatemala rains, which few places honestly live up to that caliber of downpour. So, this could get interesting. But, today, in coming back from class, the weather couldn't have been more ideal. Bright blue skies overhead with just a smallest smattering of fluffy white clouds while a gentle breeze rustled the forests of trees in the giant park. In addition to the emotional roller coaster of the whole graduate school and meeting everyone in my program thing, the weather's capriciousness is giving me a headache!!

So, just wanted to give an update. I am going to Institute as well, getting to know a VERY small singles branch, and adjusting to the constant drinking that is integrated into what would otherwise be a very professional and academic setting. Hope everyone's great. More updates sure to follow.

1 comment:

LOVE said...

Sounds like a blast. Don't worry about the drinkers. You'll find a crew that doesn't drink. :)